With a growing number of Indian men and women opting for hair transplantation, the interest in the procedures and its costs has grown over time.
While looking for the hair transplant costs in India, it is important to first understand the many factors that directly or indirectly effect the final cost.
Factors Affecting The Cost Of Hair Transplant in India
There are a handful of closely related factors that affect the cost of transplants in the country. Following are the most important factors that influence the final price of a transplantation procedure in India:
- The price of this transplantation procedure depends mostly on the number of hair roots located on the affected area(s). The cost for every separate graft, follicle, or follicular unit, is generally known to be around 25 Indian rupees.
- Aside from the number of grafts required, the final price incurred here also includes the costs of the surgeon, the fees of the assistant helping the surgeon during the procedure, along with the expenses incurred on the anesthetic medicine and disposables.
- There are also some pre-operative blood tests required before undergoing this treatment. The cost of these tests should not exceed Rs. 1500.
- Once done with the transplantation, patients would need to consume some oral medication, which generally is only prescribed for a 5-day duration.
As mentioned earlier, the hair transplant costs in India is highly variable, and depends for the most part on the number of grafts that a patient requires.
The image below represents the price that a patient would be charged for a transplantation given the existing state of his/her condition:
Procedures Affecting The Costs Of Hair Transplant in India
Aside from the above mentioned factors, the type of transplant procedure that a patient choses to undergo also plays a major role in the final price.
- The Regular “Strip” Technique
Should a person decide to undergo a transplantation, this is the most rudimentary procedure employed for such a purpose across the country.
With this method, patients would have a linear donor scar, which will remain hidden under the hair. It is effective and recommended to people looking for better quality grafts during a procedure that doesn’t last too long.
The scar that is left on the area from where hair is borrowed can easily be covered by undergoing a treatment that is medically referred to as a “Trichophytic Closure”.
The cost for a single graft with this transplant technique is Rs. 25, which is the base price mentioned earlier.
The second technique that is popular among the hair transplantation doctors and clinics in India is known as an FUE, or a stitch-less Follicular Unit Extraction.
The special aspect of this method is that it involves separating individual strands, which as is imaginable, can be quite a time consuming process. Given its intricate nature, an FUE does not result in a scar on the donor area.
Most Indian transplant doctors have been known to recommend this procedure for a number of reasons. Despite taking at least three times longer than its regular counterpart, an FUE produces much better results.
The recovery time and post-operative care is significantly reduces for those patients opting for this technique. Another excellent feature of this technique, is that it allows surgeons to take strands from other parts of the body, in case there isn’t enough growth on the head.
The cost for a single follicular unit graft with FUE is known to be between Rs.60 and Rs.100.
- Trichophytic Closure
Since the regular method of a transplant leads to a scar on the donor area, this procedure is used to encourage the growth of strands through the scar itself.
This treatment generally costs around Rs. 10,000.
Given the above mentioned facts, the average hair transplantation cost in India is generally between Rs. 30,000 and Rs. 50,000.