- After graduating from Delhi University in 1987, Beri began designing clothes for herself, and her close friends.
- In December 1990, she launched her first fashion studio, aptly named Lavanya. The studio was an instant success.
- 1991 marked the fashion designer’s foray into international fashion, where she began designing for Liberty, Regent Street, London.
- During 1994, Ritu trained with master designer and embroiderer Francois Lesage in Paris.
- 1995 was an important year for Ritu, since she launched her brand Sanskriti.
- The designer launched her first ready-to-wear collection in Paris in October 2000.
- The France Luxury Group purchased Beri’s own designer label.
Ritu Beri Biography
The collections of this designer are held in high regard worldwide. With a rare combination of beauty and brains, the designer has found commercial success and critical acclaim for over two decades now.
Having studied fashion arts at the NIFT in New Delhi, Beri is among the only Indian fashion designers to be featured in the fashion gospels and magazines throughout the world.
With an astute sense of how to dress people around the world, the designer has almost perfectly her innate ability to spot the next fashion trend before others in the profession.
Recognized worldwide for her intricate motifs and block prints collections, this designer has displayed time and again a refined understanding capable of immense styles, all mixed together with a keen sense of creative colors play.
Ritu Beri collections are known to be of astounding range and versatility, and are among the best displays of Indian fashion designing talent on recognized global platforms.
Beri also serves on the board of Governors of NIFT, and is an honorary patron of the Savera Association, which is a leading Indian charity for improving the lives of countless women in the country.
She is also the author of the personal fashion book, aptly titled – “101 Ways To Look Good”.
Ritu Beri Clients
Following are some of the notable clients who have donned the signature clothes produced by this Indian fashion behemoth:
- Former US President Bill Clinton
- Supermodel Laetitia Casta
- Hollywood actresses Nicole Kidman and Andy McDowell
- Parisian Socialite Mrs. Lagerdere
- Langes Swarovski & The Swarovski family
While her international clientele comprise of famous global celebrities and icons, her fanfare back home in India isn’t any less.
Madhuri Dixit, Rani Mukherji, Parmeshwar Godrej, Shobha De, and Preity Zinta are only some of the famous Indian celebrities who swear by the clothes produced by Beri.
Ritu Beri Collections
The designer herself has been quoted as saying that “designing clothes for the Indian contingent is a great honor and a big challenge”. It’s a challenge taken up, and near-perfected by the Delhi-based fashion designer.
Her collections, which include sarees, lehengas, bridal wear, among other styles, retain their traditional Indian look, with a sensual contemporary feel to it.
Her bridal wear collections are characterized by colorful fabrics, with heavy work of zardosi, badhni, and chikan. Using a variety of different materials, that include satin, cotton, georgette, silk, and other fabrics, the designer’s collections are both, exquisite and practical.
She frequently uses embroidery to create unique textures and styles. In this embroidery, she uses everything from beads and sequins, to the more exotic rhinestones, and luxurious Swarovski crystals.
Given the recent popularity of lehengas in India and around the world, her collections now include unique takes on this traditional Indian attire.
By adding zari, mirror work, stones, kundan, pearl work, etc., the designer has succeeded by producing lehengas that are elegant and dazzling at the same time – it is a work that reverberates the romance of the days gone by.
It goes without saying that Ritu is among the best when it comes to the list of the top Indian fashion designers. It’s a spot that she has earned, and held on to, for over two decades now.